Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a fertility treatment method that involves a procedure in which sperm is placed into woman’s uterine cavity at the time of ovulation.
Who is IUI recommended for?
• If natural conceivement hasn’t been successful within 1 year
• In case of mild male infertility or unclear infertility
• For women who do not have fallopian tubes blocked
• For women who want to use donor sperm
How does IUI work?
• Firstly, please come to our gynaecologist’s consultation, where the necessary examinations (ultrasound examination, assesment of tubal patency, if needed) and analysis will be performed. Men should also have sperm analysis done.
• IUI can be performed either on the basis of the natural menstrual cycle or by stimulating ovaries with hormone medicine.
• On the day of the procedure, the man will give a semen sample at the clinic; sperm are inspected and prepared in a laboratory where the best quality sperm are separated from other semen components
• The doctor uses a thin catheter to insert sperm into a woman’s uterus
The success of IUI depends on the woman’s age, the type of ovulation stimulation, the quality of the sperm, the cause of the infertility and its duration.
• On average, 15% of women become pregnant with IUI. The procedure may be repeated for several consecutive months and thus the cumulative probability of pregnancy may be higher.
Register for a consultation with our gynaecologist to find more information regarding your current health status and possibilities for treatment.